Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My Cure-All: Shake Sashimi!

Yesterday we had a catering gig at Filipinas Heritage in Makati.  We started the day at 7am since we'd been up until 3am from two other events the other night.  I was getting really grumpy yesterday because I felt like had too much on my plate.  I still had centerpieces to finish, help out in kitchen, and then I had to go with Yuri to Makati to inspect the venue and meet with the clients.  Whataday.

As always my dear husband knew how to improve my mood.  Since we were parked at Filipinas Heritage anyway, we decided to take a walk to the Ayala Triangle Gardens to have a look at the strip of newly-opened restaurants.  Ooooh what a treat!  New restaurants like Bon Chon Chicken (Korean crispy chicken wings), Wee Nam Kee (Hainanese Chicken Rice from Singapore), and Bfast by Chef Laudico (all-day breakfast place) were calling out to me begging to be sampled.  We looked around some more, walking up and down the strip, and we discovered that our two old favorites,Omakase and Momo Cafe (this one's still under construction though), were also there.  It was a tough decision but in the end we decided to go with something sure and familiar.  We went with Omakase.  I didn't want to try the new ones YET  (but oh I will get to them you can count on it) since they are still at the so-called "soft opening stage", meaning food quality and service might be a tad off.  I'd rather wait a few months before going back to try them.


There it is!  My favorite dish in the whole wide world.  I know that I've been calling almost every dish on this blog my favorite dish but really, this is #1 on my list.  A dish that requires no cooking.  SHAKE (salmon) SASHIMI.  I've never been disappointed with the quality of Omakase's sashimis.  The color's always bright pink (stay away from dull  gray-looking ones) and there's absolutely no slimy feel and fishy smell whatsoever.  The portions are beautifully cut too.  I usually drizzle a little bit of calamansi juice on my slices of salmon and then dip it into my wasabi-soy sauce mixture before I devour it.  The sweet melt-in-your-mouth goodness is always an excellent sign of freshness.  It's just lovely.  I could have shake sashimi everyday.  It's great that Omakase's prices are very reasonable and their portion sizes (for sashimi and sushi) are pretty awesome.  I've tried shake sashimi at almost every Japanese resto I've been to and I've never gotten the same portion size for the same quality and price as Omakase's.

So there.  All my stress and exhaustion started melting away with each sashimi slice.  *sigh*  

I find that the older I get the weirder more sophisticated my taste in food gets.  I can't imagine life without sashimi now but ten years ago I wouldn't even touch the thing.

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...