Friday, December 17, 2010

The Best of Boracay

Last year, around this time, I was lazing around in Boracay thinking only of what to eat, when to swim, and where to get drunk.  I swore that I'd be back in Boracay this year, but that would be impossible to do now since work is insanely hectic.  Instead I'm reposting this piece that I wrote last year to commemorate the early death of my December beach trip.  Oh and it’s BORACAY not “Bora”.  Let’s not mess with the name people.

On this particular trip, the beach was absolutely pristine and beautiful.  There were less people so that immediately made for a relaxing atmosphere, and the food… oh yes the food was quite memorable.  I’m never ever going back to Boracay during the summer months again.

MY TOP 5 FOOD FINDS: 
[AMAZING photography by Ku Manahan and Ruelo Ramos! :)]

1.  The Original Hawaiian Baby Back Ribs by Hawaiian Bar-B-Que
I want my baby back RIBS.

This was the aftermath!  Melt-in-your-mouth, fall-off-the-bone kind of ribs.  Php392.00 for the half rack and Php560.00 for the full rack.

We also got to try other dishes like their Chicken Katsu, Mussels in a Bamboo Trunk, and the Chunky Monkey (ice cream blended with banana, and chocolate sauce).  I’m looking forward to trying the Simply Chicken Coco (which they ran out of the two times we ate there) and the Waikiki Honey Mustard Ribs next time.  I heard they’re best-sellers too.

2. THE Mojito by The Tides
The happy juice!

Ok so I know I said this would be my list of “food” finds but hey, what’s a beach trip without a Mojito?!?! Lemme tell you they make a mean Mojito at the The Tides, which is right smack in the middle of D’ Mall.  Best thing of all is, if you catch their happy hour, which is from 4pm-7pm, then it’s buy 1 take 1 for almost all of their cocktails and beers.  Can’t beat that.  Average price is about Php110.00 per glass.

3. Crispy Calamares by Cafe Del Mar
Crispy and oh so tasty.
 Simple yet well executed.  The squid was really fresh and the batter was perfectly crisp.  The spicy salsa sauce also went really well with it.  Partner it up with a cold bottle of beer and you’re good to go.  It was a bit pricey for the portion size but well worth it.  This cost us about Php300.00.  Major points for the view and the music.  Wonderful ambience.  Great spot to watch the sunset.


4. Oysters-all-you-can!
The aftermath!
 Doesn’t matter where you get em’, but I say no beach trip is complete without having me some fresh oysters.  We had ours at some beach-side buffet in Station 2.  It’s horrible that I can’t for the life of me remember the name of that restaurant we ate at.  Their buffet was so-so, BUT at least they had some good oysters.   We paid about Php200.00 per head and I just binged on the oysters to get my money’s worth.  Almost all of the restos near Station 2 set up their own beach-side buffets at night so you can get your oyster-fill pretty much anywhere.

5. Jonah’s Fruit Shake
Ku and... nipples.
 Jonah’s Fruit Shake & Snack Bar.  Located at Station 1.   We almost always seemed to end up here after lunch.   They’ve got really good fruit/milk shakes.  They have all the possible fruit combinations you could think of.  When it’s too hot to swim and/or sunbathe, and you’re still stuffed from lunch, go have a shake.  I love how these shakes effectively remove the guilt of excessive drinking and partying from the night before *ahem ahem Juice Bar*.  Makes you feel all healthy and fit again. LOL.  Seriously, try it.  You can even have them in to-go plastic bottles and bring it with you while you swim.  Just make sure you throw them away properly like you’re supposed to.


Good food, good drinks, and good company.  The beach was seaweed-free and crowd-free.  Definitely the best beach trip I’ve had in awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...